Sunday, September 13, 2015

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I love soup.  It's really that simple.  I don't remember ever meeting a soup I didn't like.  I have tasted some soups that I didn't LOVE, but for the most part... it's pretty hard to mess up soup.  I wanted my first recipe to share to be one of my very favorites and just the name of it makes my mouth water.  Creamy chicken and wild rice soup.  Mm.

I'll start by saying that one of the reasons I love this soup is that I also love the perfect blending of carrots, onion and celery.  It's a great base for many dishes but it really creates that first layer of flavor in this soup.



When I first found this recipe, it was a little different.  It wanted you to throw raw chicken in the chicken broth with the cooked veggies to poach.  I got very sick in high school from food so anytime a recipe says raw, I do whatever I can to make that NOT raw.  Egh.  I have this adorable mini crockpot that a sweet lady from my church home gave me when I went off to college.  I can't tell you have many chicken breasts this little crock has cooked, but she's one of my favorite friends in the kitchen.  I can throw a few breasts or tenderloins in there in the morning with some water and by the afternoon, I can shred the chicken with the tiniest poke of a fork.  Gosh, she's handy.  I've never tried it but I'm sure you could use canned chicken if you like that, but I have also used rotisserie chicken before and that works great.  (I don't usually leave the grocery store without a rotisserie chicken!)

Anyway, here it is!  I love to serve this with cornbread (we love to add jalapenos and cheese to ours!) , crackers or bread for dipping.  This is also super good leftover or even works well to freeze.  Enjoy!

(I am also not going to claim to be a photographer...  My kitchen has terrible lighting so hopefully I will be thinking next time I cook this and take better pictures.)



Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1 c. onion, diced
4 ribs of celery, chopped
4 large carrots, cubed
6 c. chicken broth
3/4 lb chicken breast, cooked
6 oz box Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice, Original
1 1/2 c. half and half
1/3 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat oil and butter.  Stir in onion, celery and carrots on med heat for 10 mins until soft.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour in broth, chicken, and rice with seasoning packet.  Cover and let simmer for 20 mins to cook rice, stirring occasionally.  In small bowl, whisk half and half with flour until smooth.  Pour into soup and reduce to low heat.  Cook until rice is soft and soup is lightly thickened.  Serve with crackers, cornbread or sourdough bread for dipping.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this is easy!!! I'm doing it! Yay! So happy you posted. This is going to be the best.

    ReplyDelete